As with any major building project, it was first important to assemble the proper hardware and ensure that between Sylvia and myself, we had the tools necessary to install such pieces. First up, were the zinc-plated ringlets, which we fortuitously found at the hardware store. They are rated to 400 lbs each, meaning that the hammock would be able to hold at least an 800 lb person. Check.
Next up were the 8 two-inch x quarter-inch bolts, with which we would secure the ringlets into the wooden board, used to distribute the weight. Along with each bolt, I purchased a washer to keep the bolts from surreptitiously working their way through the wood and a nut, to allow me to tighten each bolt from the outside, once I fastened the ringlet to its weight-distributing board.
Because there’s different materials composing the two walls I sought to drill, it was important to have bolts well-suited for each type of material. For the wall on which we planned to drill into adjacent studs, we had bought 3″ x 1/4″ lag bolts:
For the wall on which we planned to drill into drywall, then bricks or concrete blocks, we purchased masonry bolts, also 3″ and slightly smaller in diameter than their lag-bolt counterparts, at something nearer 3/16″:
Finally it was time to do some measuring and some cutting. With Sylvia’s help, we found the two columns of wood on our stud wall (a non-surprising 16″ apart) and two sites on the masonry wall, where the supporting foundation sounded more solid than drywall. All our wall-tapping paid off and we finally had two sites on each wall to which we’d affix the bolts. It was time to cut the 2″x6″x12′ board down to size.
With the boards cut, it was now only a question of time. After fastening the ringlets onto the center of each board and pre-drilling the four holes for our corner bolts, these boards would be ready for hanging.
As the swiss-cheese (below) suggests, there was some trial and error involved in finding the right place to put the first hanger (ringlet-on-a-board). It’s also indicative of one of the problems inherent in drilling into drywall. It’s so fragile and crumbles so easily that if we ever had to drill into a hole more than once, we just started a new one, to ensure the bolt would have enough wall to grab on to. After some hanging, redrilling and rehanging, hanger 1 ultimately settled nicely into place.
Not sparing the masonry wall the benefits of this trial and error method as well, I was finally able to find two columns along the wall on which drilling indicated there was something stronger than drywall hiding beneath. I will say for those out there who have never drilled into drywall before, trying to determine what it behind there and where exactly it is, can be an exercise in patience. I sometimes found stronger backings to be somewhat illusive and deceiving. I have a feeling it’s similar to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, but only with wall studs and cement blocks, instead of position and momentum.