해적| 해적이라면 해먹

해적 12 11147 0 0

During a recent trip to Ecuador, I chanced a visit to Otavalo, a small town tucked away between several inactive volcanoes, in the northern suburbs of Quito. Otavalo is well-known among Ecuadorians and travelers to the region, for theirintricately-woven and colored textiles, all fashioned by local artisans. One of the many things I picked up while there was a hammock, thinking that of all the things that might come in useful one day in the future, an inexpensive, compact and brightly-colored hammock was certainly one of them.

Stepping out of the terminal at JFK and into the frigid January temperatures, I quickly realized two things:

1) I needed some reminder of my joyful time in Ecuador and the incredible diversity of colors and textures that makes that country so incredible

2) I had a hammock in my pack that needed hanging.

Fortunately, the snows of January and time off from school provided both the motivation and time I would need to finally get this plan in motion. Even more fortunately, my upstairs neighbor, Sylvia, offered her help after hearing my idea and assisted me from beginning to end, while offering me a great education in power-tools, in between.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Pt. I of John’s Bedroom Renovation Project: Research into Hanging Hammocks Indoors

Before getting started however, I needed to develop a strategy. The best means of securing a hammock to two interior walls was never covered in woodshop class during high-school and certainly wasn’t something I had attempted (a shame, really) in my college dorm. But now I had the tools, the motivated participants and the nearby hardware store; and I just needed some more concrete ideas.

So I did a little background investigation. Researching indoor hammock-hanging immediately reveals a plethora of indoor hangars from which one could secure a hammock, but the problems with these are that they take up significant room, often cost well over $100 and least-fun at all, don’t offer the possibility of a hammock suspended six feet off the ground.

Fortunately, Bill and Kevin Burnett took up this very question in a SF Gate article. More than anything else, this article grounded my thinking and convinced me that if this was going to be done correctly, it was going to take some serious bolts, boards, bits, drills, levels and washers. In the end, it took all of those + two tape measures (one in metric, one with US measurements) and one patient upstairs neighbor.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Pt. II of John’s Bedroom Renovation Project: Building!

As with any major building project, it was first important to assemble the proper hardware and ensure that between Sylvia and myself, we had the tools necessary to install such pieces. First up, were the zinc-plated ringlets, which we fortuitously found at the hardware store. They are rated to 400 lbs each, meaning that the hammock would be able to hold at least an 800 lb person. Check.

Next up were the 8 two-inch x quarter-inch bolts, with which we would secure the ringlets into the wooden board, used to distribute the weight. Along with each bolt, I purchased a washer  to keep the bolts from surreptitiously working their way through the wood and a nut, to allow me to tighten each bolt from the outside, once I fastened the ringlet to its weight-distributing board.

Because there’s different materials composing the two walls I sought to drill, it was important to have bolts well-suited for each type of material. For the wall on which we planned to drill into adjacent studs, we had bought 3″ x 1/4″ lag bolts: 

For the wall on which we planned to drill into drywall, then bricks or concrete blocks, we purchased masonry bolts, also 3″ and slightly smaller in diameter than their lag-bolt counterparts, at something nearer 3/16″: 

Finally it was time to do some measuring and some cutting. With Sylvia’s help, we found the two columns of wood on our stud wall (a non-surprising 16″ apart) and two sites on the masonry wall, where the supporting foundation sounded more solid than drywall. All our wall-tapping paid off and we finally had two sites on each wall to which we’d affix the bolts. It was time to cut the 2″x6″x12′ board down to size.

With the boards cut, it was now only a question of time. After fastening the ringlets onto the center of each board and pre-drilling the four holes for our corner bolts, these boards would be ready for hanging.

As the swiss-cheese (below) suggests, there was some trial and error involved in finding the right place to put the first hanger (ringlet-on-a-board). It’s also indicative of one of the problems inherent in drilling into drywall. It’s so fragile and crumbles so easily that if we ever had to drill into a hole more than once, we just started a new one, to ensure the bolt would have enough wall to grab on to. After some hanging, redrilling and rehanging, hanger 1 ultimately settled nicely into place.

Not sparing the masonry wall the benefits of this trial and error method as well, I was finally able to find two columns along the wall on which drilling indicated there was something stronger than drywall hiding beneath. I will say for those out there who have never drilled into drywall before, trying to determine what it behind there and where exactly it is, can be an exercise in patience. I sometimes found stronger backings to be somewhat illusive and deceiving. I have a feeling it’s similar to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, but only with wall studs and cement blocks, instead of position and momentum.

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Pt. III of John’s Bedroom Renovation Project: Hanging a Hammock

With both hangers up, it was time to start nearing the finish-line. Rather than try to attach the hammock directly to both hangers or use something that’d commit me to a distance, I opted instead to use nylon webbing, available in any desired length at my local Eastern Mountain Sports. I happily bought 16′ of it and four webbing adjustment buckles, not knowing exactly how I would employ such equipment at the time of purchase, but trusting that it would make sense once I tried to make use of it. I cut my 16′ into two 8′ lengths and singed each end with a candle, to prevent them from fraying. After attaching the webbing only as pictured, I first conducted a weight-test on both hangers, whereby I grabbed the webbing and literally walked up the wall and waited. When I didn’t fall after much grappling and swinging, I knew these could safely support half my wait in the future. I tied a safety knot in the end of each tie-off, to ensure it never backed-up all the way through the buckle.

Making sure that both hangers were up and were not going to move, I pulled out the Ecuadorian hammock that started all this and joyfully attached it at both end to my excess webbing. Using the third and fourth buckles, I was able to double the length-threaded-through-the-hammock back on itself and oddly, but fortuitously, wound up with a completely adjustable nylon-webbing hold that requires just a single overhand knot to safely tie-off. Once I brought the head up a little higher than the foot (keeping in mind where my head is on my bed, and wanting to make the transition as easy as possible from the height of my hammock to the soft landing strip of my bed), it was ready for testing. 

With Sylvia’s help spotting, we each took turns getting in and out of the hammock until we were sure it was not going anywhere.

Turns out it was quite comfy, too. One can literally lay inside and shut out the outside world by pulling the sides up around oneself. 

Or lay back, with a big smile. Pillows fit quite comfortably as well. And there’s rumors that you can even get WiFi in there. 

I couldn’t be more grateful to those who came before me and inspired me to hang a hammock indoors; to those who supported me via Facebook and texts, inquiring as to its progress; to the builder who said it could be done and to the man in the hardware shop who took nearly a half-hour helping us find the proper hardware. And very special appreciation goes out to Sylvia, the patient and understanding upstairs-neighbor without whose power-tools and knowledge of wood and walls I would be nowhere, today. Thanks!

If you are hanging a hammock indoors as well, I want to hear about it! Any questions about this project, please post ‘em below!

네임카드 이미지없는 자! 

당첨취소

별명 adskfj 이런식의 못읽는자! 

당첨취소

기타

자세한설명은 생략한다.

해먹

12 Comments
호랑이시키 2014.03.24 14:20  
갖고싶다!!!!
호랑이시키 2014.03.24 14:23  
얍!! 사진 넣어왔지요~